....is a yeasty irish cake that we eat
around halloween. I'm a yeasty irish gal
..yeasty meaning: youthful; exuberant; ebullient.

9.20.2007

oh the korean gift sets!

Chusok (korean thanksgiving) starts next week, it's a 3 day celebration of the new season, being with family, 3 days off of school and of course the korean gift sets. i can't even explain how interesting the whole gift set idea is. my first experience with it was walking into the supermarket when i came to korea last year (right after chusok) and seeing the left over chusock gift sets still on display. imagine, 10 cans of spam tightly packed in a beautiful box... or the 3 bottles of olive oil in a finely decorated box, now imagine it 100 fold on a giant display! Today i received some chusok gifts from my students and one from my boss. luckily there was no spam anywhere in sight! instead i received a gift box with 6 tubes of toothpase and shampoo and conditioner!!! crazy! and don't worry assholes, i know it wasn't anything personal for my boss to give me such a hygienic gift because all of us at school received similar gift boxes. WHAT am i going to do with 6 tubes of toothpaste?!?!?! hand them out to the broken smiled adjumas selling weird korean grass and spinach outside the subway?

1 comment:

Natasha said...

hahahahaha, this made me laugh so hard! my mom's friend, the "corner store lady" (i still don't know her name) used to give my sister and i presents consisting of zest soap, and head and shoulders or vidal sassoon shampoo ALL THE TIME! and at her church, a regular Kris Kringle gift are those cheap crest electric toothbrushes. she has like 12!!! Love you!