....is a yeasty irish cake that we eat
around halloween. I'm a yeasty irish gal
..yeasty meaning: youthful; exuberant; ebullient.

4.16.2008

all i want to do is ride bikes with you

how beautiful is spring in korea? Even though the cherry blossoms don't last longer than a heart beat or blink of an eye, it makes you appreciate them so much more. And all the colours and the warmth, oh i feel like I'm in love... Last year at this time I was watching Teri and a million Korean men run a half marathon through all the spring time wonder. I think about this time last year, and i feel like I'm in that same place, with a little difference here and there (accumulated knowledge about myself and accumulated travel etc) and it's strange. strange because it seems the last whatever with whomever didn't even happen. a fog covered hazy whatever. and you know, not upset about it at all. at first i was pretty upset. "I'm in the exact same place i was a year ago" type of feeling, but now, i realize the differences and the realization feels good.

Justin, Aer and I went away for the weekend, hiking, staying in minbaks (little rooms attached to a Koreans home for people to rent out) going to the most famous temple in Korea. There was even a farm festival. For the first time in my Korean life i completely noticed the difference in the Korean accent between the city folk and country bumpkins. it felt great, like I've been here long enough and let in to some secret group - the group for those who have lived in korea long enough to distinguish the different Korean accents.

I met a lot of people who have lived here for 2 years or longer. There is a lot of stigma attached to foreigners who stay in korea a long time, and this stigma is attached BY other foreigners. It's like they are saying... what?!!? you have been here 4 years?!?!?! what the fuck are you doing with your life? And even being here nearly 2 years I've gotten this from many people who just came here. And i hate it. who the fuck cares how long you stay here, maybe it's their career choice. After meeting these people I could picture myself hanging out in Asia for a lot longer. Time moves strangely after a certain period. I remember last year counting down the months, the weeks (till what? i have no idea, but i remember doing a lot of counting ) now, time flies and i hardly notice it at all. I'm rambling.

xo

1 comment:

Tommy said...

hi andrea!! i missed your call, please call again!! I'll be up late!

xoxo tommy